Monday, September 30, 2013

Post-Op Day 7


One week ago today Hudson had his 2nd open-heart surgery.  The Glenn surgery went extremely well and we were discharged on Saturday, September 28th just 5 days after his surgery.  On the day of surgery we arrived at the hospital around 6 am and they took Hudson back into the surgical suite around 8 am.  The surgery ended up starting several hours later than originally planned because there were some issues with the cross-typing of the blood products that would be needed for transfusions during surgery.  Once the surgery started it lasted several hours, and Jamey and I were finally able to go back to see Hudson around 3:30 pm.  When we got in the CVICU room, they were trying to wean him off of the ventilator and luckily he got off within probably an hour after we went back to his room.  During the extubation process they have to drastically decrease the level of sedation as well as the use of certain pain medications that can cause respiratory depression.  It’s hard to see Hudson on the ventilator because I know he is uncomfortable and there is just nothing I can do about it.  His blood pressure was running high during this time, which is expected after surgery, but can also signal pain and discomfort.  They started some additional antihypertensive meds that did not really seem to make a big difference so they gave him morphine which did help decrease his blood pressure some.  Hudson’s favorite song is You Are My Sunshine, which I sing to him all the time at home.  I wanted to comfort him and let him know that we were with him so I started singing to him and his blood pressure started dropping immediately.  I’m sure his nurse probably got so tired of me singing that song to him over and over again, especially considering that I am not a great singer to begin with.  Honestly I could have continued singing to him for hours, but after he was extubated he was so exhausted that he went to sleep for several hours.  We stayed in the CVICU through Wednesday and then went to the CCU, a step-down unit, through Saturday.

This surgery was so much better than the Norwood.  During our month-long hospital stay after the Norwood, all of the nurses told me the Glenn would be so different.  Even though I believed them, I still thought that there was nothing easy about a major open-heart surgery.  Luckily in many ways they were right.  Only 1 day on the ventilator, less than a 1 week hospital stay, and a closed chest coming out of surgery made this experience as uneventful as I guess open-heart surgery can be.  Another miracle that happened in the past week is that Hudson was finally able to come off oxygen for the first time in his life.

Last Tuesday was Hudson’s 3-month birthday.  He has brought so much joy to our lives over the past 3 months and it’s hard to remember life before him.  We are so grateful to Hudson’s pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon, Dr. Dabal, for performing another successful surgery.  Before Dr. Dabal was recruited to UAB/Children’s Hospital, they did not even perform the Norwood procedure here.  Babies that needed this life-sustaining surgery were sent to other pediatric cardiac centers across the country.  Dr. Dabal was recruited to start performing the Norwood as well as other heart surgeries at Children’s.  God has blessed Hudson's entire medical team with such incredible skill and talent.  Since Hudson has been born I’ve often wondered how do you thank someone for saving your baby’s life.  Nothing I can ever say will be enough, but we are so thankful to Dr. Dabal, Dr. Romp, Dr. Alten and countless others for giving us the opportunity to not only celebrate Hudson’s 3-month birthday, but also a lifetime of birthdays.  

One of the verses in Psalm 30 has been on my mind over the week.  Psalm 30:5 says weeping may stay for the night, but joy comes in the morning.  Inevitably it is easier to see the joy that comes when things go the way that you want them to, but even when they do not, God is still in control.  For some joy may come sooner than for others, but either way we have a promise of joy that will eventually come.  Even in the most difficult moments of life, God never abandons us.


Sponge bath after coming home from the hospital
Glad to be home

4 comments:

  1. Brittain and Jamey - I am so thankful that Hudson has done so well. He is such a precious child and I can understand your feelings of love and despair but I am also thankful that you both know that God has a plan for y'all and for Hudson. I can remember singing 'you are my sunshine' to my children - especially Lindsey, and like you, I am not even a good singer, but the sound of my voice would calm her (and me). We love you and you know where to find us if there is anything we can do. The Martins

    ReplyDelete
  2. His smile is just beautiful and I'm so happy to hear how well the surgery went. How precious!! You keep singing Momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your little miracle is home with you guys, thanks for sharing Hudsons journey with us....what a blessing he is

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittain, I am sitting here at the laptop blubbering for joy over Hudson and you and Jamey. I know God has blessed you all, but He also blesses us by Hudson's journey. My whole family has been praying for Hudson and all of you for so long. It is such a joy to see his smiling face and to know God has provided all of you strength and love and hope. Wish I could hear you sing and hear Hudson laugh while you sing... I am sure in this case that even the Angels would rejoyce with all of us. God is so good! Love you all, Linda

    ReplyDelete