Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Glenn



Since the heart cath procedure Hudson has been doing well.  Unfortunately the balloon dilation of the pulmonary arteries did not make enough of a change to get Hudson off oxygen, but we are hopeful that he will after this next surgery.  Originally the 2nd heart surgery (Glenn) was going to be scheduled for the middle of October.  However we have had a couple of situations where Hudson’s oxygen sats were dropping and we were hospitalized for several days.  Since this seemed to be happening more frequently, the doctors decided it was best to move his surgery up.  Hudson will be having his Glenn surgery tomorrow, September 23rd.  The surgery should last anywhere from 4-6 hours and we will probably be in the hospital for 1-2 weeks if things go well. 

When I was pregnant, I had been introduced to another mom with a HLHS baby.  Her child was having his Glenn towards the end of my pregnancy, and I remember thinking how it must feel to watch your child go through another major surgery so soon.  I knew I would dread it and I have to say that I do.  Even though this surgery is not typically as critical as the 1st surgery (Norwood), it is still major open heart surgery.  Obviously I am scared and wish I could go through it for him or just take the whole experience away.  All those memories of the ups and downs of the 1st surgery come flooding back, and it’s hard to believe we have to do it all over again.

Hudson is so blessed to have had incredible medical care throughout his life.  His physicians not only possess a wealth of knowledge, but also truly stand beside our family as we have gone through this process.  During our last doctor's appointment prior to his Glen, our pediatrician Dr. Brian Dudgeon asked if he could pray with us.  It is awesome to have people of such great character caring for our baby.  Please pray for Hudson tomorrow during his surgery (we are the 1st case so it should start around 7-8) as well as during his recovery and his medical team.  We covet your prayers and believe that prayer is powerful.  I’ve said it before, but it is incredible to know that there are so many people praying for Hudson.

The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart – Psalm 34:18



3 comments:

  1. Oh Brittain - my heart aches for you and Jamey; I hate that you have to go through this experience but I know that our Lord has a reason and a plan and He will help each of you and Hudson through this surgery. Hudson is so beautiful - enjoy each day and take it one day at a time. We each have our struggles - some public, some private - but we have to remember the Lord is with us and will not put more on us than we can bear. All of you will remain in my prayers. Love to all, Mrs. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittain, you and that beautiful boy are in my prayers!! I am so glad God entrusted Hudson with a wonderful, dedicated medical team and parents who love the Lord and love their son with all of their hearts. Hudson is such a warrior!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittain, Hudson is so handsome and such a gem. I'm happy to hear the surgery went well and he's doing great! I am praying for your sweet family.
    Carrie Licina

    ReplyDelete