Sunday, February 14, 2016

Faces of CHD - Meagan & Sadie

February 14th is not just for Valentine's Day, it is also National Donor Day.  National Donor Day is a time to focus on all types of organ donation, as well as to recognize loved ones that have have given the gift of life through organ donation, have received a donor organ, and are waiting for or passed away waiting for a donation.  The need for heart transplant is always a possibility for people affected by congenital heart defects. 

Thankfully significant advancements in CHD research have occurred over the past several decades.  The number of adults living with congenital heart defects is increasing due to improvements in survival.  It is now believed that the number of adults living with CHDs is possibly higher than the number of children living with congenital heart defects.  

Heart Hero - Meagan
I was born with HLHS, TA and VSD in 1990.  My parents had no idea what to expect.  The doctor told my parents they had two choices:  1. Take me home and let me die on my own or 2. Try three experimental surgeries.  They decided on the surgeries and I am thankful they did.  I am now 26 years old, living life to the fullest.  I am currently living in Florida working as a preschool teacher and working on my Masters.  I honestly don't remember being in the hospital.  All I really remember is the stories I was told by my parents and the photos I've seen.  I was very shy and didn't really get to know others and thought I was very different than other kids my age.  I was ashamed of my scar for the longest time, but not anymore!  I had feeding tubes which hit my vocal cords and changed my voice a little so I was constantly asked "What's wrong with your voice?" or "Are you sick?" and I usually respond with no or I tell them I had three heart surgeries.  It's hard at times, but now I just want people to understand.  I was scared of what people thought of me, but now I am happy that I am who I am.  My CHD doesn't define me, it's just a part of my life.



Heart Hero Sadie


Born in 1997 with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, Sadie had her first open-heart surgery at 9 months old.  Later at 9 years old she needed another surgery to repair her heart.  In between those two surgeries, and after her second surgery, Sadie lived a normal life.  After graduating high school, Sadie moved to New York to pursue her passion as an actress.  While studying acting at the Lee Strasberg Institute of Film and Theatre, she began experiencing symptoms of heart failure.  After returning to Children's of Alabama, Sadie ended up on the heart transplant list.  Within several months, Sadie was matched to a heart donor and received her gift of life.  Sadie is currently doing well and is continuing to pursue her dream of acting.

1 comment: